Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> Sick Chick - Full Crop or a real problem?

Topic: Sick Chick - Full Crop or a real problem? (8 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Sick Chick - Full Crop or a real problem? (8 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
DANIM
Score: 1
We received our order of 25 beautiful RIR chicks 6 days ago :) All arrived alive, hungry, and thirsty, as all have from all of our family's previous orders from Murray McMurray :)
On their second or third day, one of them started having some problems that look like "pasting up." We were able to check on her several times a day, and gently removed any waste from her rear with a warm, wet cloth any time she was dirty. We also made sure to dry her as best we could with a soft, dry rag, and she always got completely dry under the heat lamp. She is drinking quite a bit, and appears to be eating well, too, but is lethargic and small compared to her sisters.
My biggest concern is what I found yesterday when cleaning her rear - near the base of her neck, on her right side (not near her midline, totally to her right side, just in front and below her right wing), there was a large bubble that appeared to be just under the skin. I could even see water sloshing around in this "bubble." During the last 24 hours, it has not gotten smaller, and is still filled with fluid (which is visible through the skin on top of the "bubble"). She is still eating and drinking well, and we continue to have to clean her rear several times a day.
At first, I wondered if she had just drank a large amount of water, and her crop was just really really full of water... but the fact that you can see through her skin and see the fluid inside the "bubble" seems very wrong to me. Also, the "bubble" has stayed the same size. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Know what this is? If it's going to be a long-term problem or reduce quality of her life? I will try to post a photo tomorrow. Sorry for the lengthy post, I am just stumped about what this is, and a little worried.
11/4/2013 9:25 PM report abuse
JUSTIN6
Score: 9
Sometimes birds will eat and drink to much at once and kind of stretch things out and then food won't break down like they should. How is the chick now did it make it?
2/17/2014 8:05 PM report abuse
JAMES66
Score: 6
I haven't had good luck so far. 36 hours 1 died 9 others are sick with the bird flu, 3 have staph infection. first order with mm h not a good start.
5/20/2014 11:57 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
James- after speaking with you and reading your other posts it sounds like the chicks had a really rough trip. We guarantee all of our birds for live arrival and 2 days after. The chicks should not have been in that condition when you received them. I'm glad we were able to speak with you and get the chicks replaced.
5/21/2014 9:45 AM report abuse
BARTC
Score: 0
i just noticed one of my 4 week old Sussex has a large water bubble on it's neck. it seems irritated but it is eating and drinking. I want to know if I should remove it from the others?
4/30/2015 9:12 PM report abuse
DANIM
Score: 1
Unfortunately, our chick with this problem did not ever recover. I set up a little at home "ICU" for her inside the house (with just 2 other chicks, so none of them were stressed from being alone, but she wasn't competing with the entire flock for resources), and hand-fed her for just over a week. She was always very eager to drink (she always had that bubble where her crop should have been very full of fluid), and ate regularly, even if less than the others. After just over a week in "ICU" she had not grown at all, and her sisters were more than twice her size. She was also still having problems similar to "pasting up." We decided it was best for her to euthanize.
Ours certainly wasn't contagious in any way - I think she had an anatomical deformation, not a disease. I sincerely hope you are able to get better results for yours!
5/1/2015 9:12 AM report abuse
JACKS
Score: 0
I have a group of approx. 5 week old chicks, I noticed this morning that one of them is kind of slow ...I seen him pecking at food, but didn't really seem to eat. He appears to want to sleep, but does not want to be away from the other chicks? Not sure if I should seperate him or is this common? By the way he is a Pearl White Leghorn, the rest are Anconas,Minorcas, and Produdction Reds, all the same age.
I am open to suggestions, advice, and warning signs.
Post edited by JACKS 6/17/2015 10:20 AM
6/17/2015 10:18 AM report abuse
JAMES66
Score: 6
A few things you can do to help birds with an impacted crop is to mix water, apple cider viniger, olive oil. plain yogert and honey. in the following ratio 3 parts water, 2 parts cider viniger, 3 parts olive oil and 2 parts yogert. dont force feed them the mix or they will drown, if they refuse the mix give them 1 drop of olive oil, water and honey.
6/17/2015 2:09 PM report abuse