Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> getting started pullets from McMurray

Topic: getting started pullets from McMurray (13 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
getting started pullets from McMurray (13 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
JAMES54
Score: 2
I am going to purchase 2 started pullets from McMurray Hatchery...has anyone done this? and can you give me any advice...thanks Jim
Post edited by JAMES54 1/15/2014 9:52 AM
1/13/2014 11:30 AM report abuse
grandma donna's farm e-i-e-i-o
Score: 19
palm valley, FL
hi Jim, are these your first chickens for you and are they going to be free to run around or pinned up? if I know these answers then I can try to help you out. and whats the weather like where your at?are you getting them now or in the spring?
1/14/2014 10:39 PM report abuse

DONNA4
Score: 30
deeismee47@gmail.com
JASPER, FL
Mostly Game birds and now beautiful Barred Rocks
Well James I am purchasing my first batch from Murry McMurry Hatchery and im am so excited. this is my first chicken order from them and just cant wait til they come in. My chickens when ready to go outside will be in a closed in area about 15'X40' with a nesting area that holds 24 next boxes closed in. I know it will be sometime in May before they start setting but this gives me time to make sure my area is big enough. gonna take pictures of the lil chicken barn and when I do ill post um here.
signed .... waiting on the mailman.
Dee
1/15/2014 7:17 AM report abuse
MIKE7
Score: 5
i hope your chicks came through ok. every one of mine was dead when i opened the box.
1/30/2014 8:05 AM report abuse
JAMES54
Score: 2
Just an update to my purchasing 2 started pullets. Both pullets have arrived on Thursday the 16th... very much alive and doing fine. I do think it is important to note that started pullets are raised and shipped from Texas, near Waco. A big difference in Jan. outside temps. since I live in Cincinnati Ohio. Though I knew this after placing my order by asking questions I would have had time to cancel my order should I wanted too. I will also add that the 2 pullets sat somewhere from Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday late evening when they were shipped to Cincinnati. McMurrary does tell you up front it can take 2 days to arrive.
Post edited by JAMES54 1/30/2014 10:54 AM
1/30/2014 8:57 AM report abuse
TINAC
Score: 160
I never ordered any pullets - but a friend did - last spring and they arrived very healthy and active - and with slices of apples :-)
2/2/2014 12:16 PM report abuse
RICHARD27
Score: 1
Guess it's a little late but I ordered 2 Red Star pullets in December. They arrived in perfect shape and started laying about 8 weeks after I got them. They still are giving me a nice brown egg every day - no exceptions yet. I will do business with McMurray Hatchery again, no doubt.
3/6/2014 12:33 PM report abuse
TIFFANY2
Score: 1
I know I too was worried about ordering older started pullets and having them shipped. I ordered 6 started pullets (2 Ameraucana, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Black Australorp, 1 Barred Rock,and 1 Delaware. I did receive an email notification when the birds shipped. Although the email said that the tracking number would only tell me the birds were shipped, I was able to track their progress towards me. For me, it went something like this:

3/19/14 9:35 AM MATTHEWS, NC 28105 Delivered
3/19/14 9:15 AM MATTHEWS, NC 28105 Available for Pickup
3/19/14 8:49 AM MATTHEWS, NC 28105 Arrival at Post Office
3/19/14 7:15 AM CHARLOTTE, NC 28228 Processed through USPS Sort Facility
3/18/14 5:51 PM COPPELL, TX 75099 Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility
3/18/14 4:36 PM WACO, TX 76705 Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility

You can see that they started in Waco, TX in case you are wondering. For me they had short ship time and were not overly stressed when they arrived. The birds were shipped with apple slices and were in good shape when they arrived. Two of the birds had even laid eggs IN the box! Later the same day, I had two more eggs in the nesting boxes as well (although those two had very fragile shells that dented when I picked them up - so I quickly made some scrambled eggs, ground the shells, and back into the pen they went).

Typically I'd say chickens aren't too smart. I think most people will agree with me. So I'll admit my main worry was the chickens figuring out the nipple watering system. The Ameraucana was the smartest in my bunch, and after she figured it out, the rest followed. It took them about 15min. to figure it out and within 10min after that, all the birds had tons to drink.

I hope this helps anyone like myself who is wondering how safe the process is, how stressed the birds will be, shipping time, starvation, dehydration, ect.. I know I myself would absolutely use Murray McMurray Hatchery again, and would also recommend them to others.
3/19/2014 1:32 PM report abuse
JOSEPH11
Score: 0
I received my 4 started pullets this morning. They shipped yesterday (from Texas) and were at my local post office this morning in Connecticut. The birds were great. Got them out and they are eating and drinking.
4/10/2014 9:20 AM report abuse
FLOYDW
Score: 9
I ordered 6 started pullets all red stars . They were shipped on Tuesday and arrived on Thursday during a monsoon rain storm. They are alive when they arrived and looked ok but soon after found they were sneezing, like they may have an upper respiratory problem.
So I already had vitamins and electrolytes in thier water . I called Mc Murrays and they suggested that I order a different vitamin supplement . I hope it helps it was 25 bucks . Also when I ordered it at 2 PM I asked if they could get it out today. No answer from the lady and They didn't ship it until Friday.
It is suppose to be a better supplement for them.
I have seen them all sneeze ! one sneezed while at the feeder and the liquid that came out onto the side of the feeder was clear at least, they do seem OK just a couple are fluffed up and look like they don't feel good.
At least they are eating and drinking, so hopefully they will be OK. Mc Murrays did not suggest an antibiotic.
Hopefully they will get over it in their own. At least they are no worse. I know that area of Tx has had some cold weather etc. Maybe they had a cold they couldn't detect before shipping.
Any Suggestions?
Post edited by FLOYDW 3/15/2015 12:38 PM
3/11/2015 7:46 PM report abuse
KRISTENE
I wish I knew they were coming from Waco TX. I thought they were coming from the hatchery in IA. I ordered 5 started and all but one perished. I'm assuming they died from heat/stress even though it wasn't all that hot at the time. I did get a new order for the 4, I hope they make it alive, they shipped today. I don't think I will ever get started pullets from here again just because I live to far away. I really wish they would have mentioned on the website they come from Waco TX not from IA hatchery
6/26/2017 10:41 PM report abuse
SUZANNE9
Not all pullets are shipped from Waco, TX. I'm waiting on the last of 6 ordered and she's coming from Montana. The Montana site also does NOT send an email when the hen is shipped so I have no tracking number nor do I know when it will arrive at the Post Office. I am very upset about this as I was not informed when I ordered. I called and MM said there was nothing they could do about it. This is terrible customer service and after spending more than $400 on started pullets, I definitely will NOT order from MM again. Poor customer services results in losing customers.
10/17/2017 3:08 PM report abuse
VICKIEL
Hi I am planning to get started pullets(probably rir or black star) I'm in Ohio and have 5 leghorns and 2 white rock. I am wondering if they will withstand the temp difference it is November 1st and about 38 degrees here and will my current chickens beat the new ones up
Post edited by VICKIEL 11/1/2017 7:57 PM
11/1/2017 7:56 PM report abuse