Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Minnesota -> Chickens

Topic: Chickens (5 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Chickens (5 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
KAISK
Score: 2
COKATO, MN
Can somebody recommend a hardy breed of chickens that con tolerate bitter cold in Minnesota. I bought some Japanese Bantam from the hatchery here and they seem to do OK except the roosters get frost bite and the combs are not pretty anymore. I tried to put a lamp over the winter for them but they seem to get scared and they don't go on the perch anymore. I'd like to get some that do tolerate the cold.
Thanks
2/24/2014 6:44 AM report abuse
KATEC
Score: 3
I suggest you check on the Minnesota Extension website. It includes a section on recommended breeds for Minnesota. Last August I got Buff Orpingtons, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Rhode Island Reds. Mine began laying around Thanksgiving and have impressed me all winter with their production. In the bitterest cold days I had three heat lamps on. I'm turning them off as it warms up. We had an unusually cold winter and my rooster also got frostbite. Yes, it's not as pretty as before, but I'm not concerned about it.
3/6/2014 10:48 AM report abuse
KAISK
Score: 2
COKATO, MN
I didn't have any lamps at all this winter as they didn't like the color of the lamp or something and never wanted to go on the perch until I removed them. I kept them inside the shed all winter and they didn't even venture outside at all. They were inside away from the bitter cold/wind and I can tell this winter was a bit rough on them. They didn't lay any eggs at all. They are laying like crazy as I am writing this response to this post. Thanks for the info KATEC. Are you by any chance in Minnesota? I am in Cokato Minnesota.
5/16/2014 7:42 AM report abuse
KATEC
Score: 3
Huh, yes, I'm in Minnesota, near Prior Lake. I've never heard of birds not liking light. I've read the red heat lamp bulbs are better than the clear ones. Maybe your bulbs were too close to the perch? I've talked to people who didn't light their coops in winter and just gave the hens a seasonal rest. I used the lights for heat as well as to keep them laying. My new problem is that my rooster is tearing up some of my hens. I got hensavers to protect their backs. Hopefully that will work.
5/16/2014 10:08 AM report abuse
ALAN1
Score: 0
White rocks
8/4/2014 10:45 AM report abuse