Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Chicken / Egg Recipes -> need recipes that use lots of eggs!

Topic: need recipes that use lots of eggs! (14 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
need recipes that use lots of eggs! (14 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
TINAC
Score: 160
have over 10 dozen now --- more tomorrow! ---- so I need recipes to use some up :-)
3/27/2014 9:01 PM report abuse
DONNA10
Score: 3
dswanger99@yahoo.com
Angel Food cake.. That's my go to when I have an abundance of eggs and the family appreciates it too!! One cake uses 12 eggs. We especially enjoy the Chocolate Angel Food cake. Food.com has lots of recipes.
5/2/2014 6:35 AM report abuse
FLOYDW
Score: 9
Chicken Salad.
We use a full pint jar of Boneless Breast that has been canned.
1 cup of chopped sweet pickels
1/2 cup of chopped roasted red peppers
8 hard boiled eggs 15 minute Egg then chilled in ice water! Chop egg up to your preference
1/2 cup of Mayo or half mayo half yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste
We make this a minimum of once a week winter summer doesn't matter,
Love it!
Can use the same recipe and make plain egg salad just double your eggs to 16!
If you don't have hens that produce year round. You can buy the large ice trays- put one egg in each cube, freeze and out in a zip lock bag . Then just take out what you need out of the freezer. They thaw looking just like when you cracked it. If you want you can scramble the eggs and do the same . Works out great. You can't buy eggs that are as good as yours!
Post edited by FLOYDW 3/12/2015 3:22 PM
3/12/2015 3:15 PM report abuse
STEVEN15
Score: 4
Floyd, thanks for the info on freezing eggs. I never imagined that would work. Great way to have eggs when the hens molt.
3/13/2015 9:32 AM report abuse
FLOYDW
STEVEN15 when I saw this done the first time was by my Uncle, his hens had kicked into laying 100 percent and the Ladies who bought most of his eggs for cakes and pies were taking two wks off so he had surplus eggs. He took one of the old type plastic ice cream buckets and cracked them in it and put the whole bucket in the freezer. He said when he needed eggs he would jsut take the Icecream scoop and scoop him out some eggs. He measured 1/3 cup for each egg.
Hope it helps!
3/13/2015 11:43 AM report abuse
STEVEN15
Floyd, that is interesting. I have never heard of that. Would work great for scrambled/ omlets.

Wonder if you could take and mix up a bunch of eggs during the summer. Add some onion and peppers from the garden when they are plentiful. Maybe even some bacon or sausage and put either 1/3 or 2/3 cup into a ziplock bag then freeze. Instant omlet either 1 or 2 egg. Even a full cup for big appetites. Might have to try this. Would be great if it worked . Then when you dont have many eggs or stuff from the garden you could peel the bag off and have easy omlets.
3/26/2015 12:17 AM report abuse
FLOYDW
I think that would be worth a try just use cooked pork or cook it before adding itl would be so handy!
I always liked to cook my meat in the pan I pan used to cook the omelet in for more added. flavor. Can't wait till our hens are laying too many eggs. We have pullets that should start laying in the next couple of weeks. I think the first thing will be an omelette with hashbrowbs for supper! YUM!!!!
3/26/2015 1:48 PM report abuse
STEVEN15
I think that sounds good for the first eggs. We will have to have the grandsons here for our first eggs. The hens are theirs. Even though we bought them and the feed and take care of them except for when they are here on some weekends. Not complaining though.Their education about life and how we get food is important.
3/29/2015 11:46 PM report abuse
FLOYDW
That is really awesome, I did the same thing with my neice's and nephews. When they are 7 and 8 I took them to the local Cattle Sale Barn and we came home with a heifer that weighed about 200 lbs. I really didn't want a heifer but she was the only thing I our size category there that day. We worked her and out her into the pasture where we fed her everyday and she had all of the grass she could want to eat.Ae raised her up to about 750 lbs and had her butchered . Then I also had purebred nubian goats that they helped me show and milk. Each one had their favorite all of them loved the chickens because they could take care of them all by themselves.
It is something I will remember forever and wouldn't trade it for anything? They are now in their early twenties and they learned valuable lessons on where food comes from, the disconnect today is rediculous,if we are going to eat it we should be able to raise it.
Well there are more chickens in back yards today than there were 10 yrs ago. Really encouraging.
3/30/2015 12:50 AM report abuse
STEVEN15
Floyd, It is funny to hear stories about how the kids here go off to college and bring a room mate home. They are shocked to find out where eggs and milk come from.

Of course even farms now do not have chickens and milk cows like they used to. Very few pigs either. We grew up with all that and a herd of beef cows too.

When my wife came here to live her sons asked what I called the 2 steers we had. Told them steak and hamburger. They had lived on a farm so no shock to them.

My wife is an avid gardener. One grandson is dying to plant stuff with her. Every time we pass a seed display we have to pick out more seed.

I ended up rupturing several discs in my back so don't do as much as I would like. That is why I go to Colorado Springs often. My doc is there.

I understand many towns allow keeping just a few hens. Glad to see that.

Have thought about seeing if the kids would want to get bunnies. Not sure they would be able to eat them though. The wife sure would not. She can't eat our extra roosters. Her son sure will though.
3/30/2015 11:11 PM report abuse
FLOYDW
Yes the disconnect from food today and where it comes from is amazing..
Most thinks it comes out of a machine,
I also have a bad back and there for not able to do near as much as I use to or than my mind thinks it can. I have raised rabbits started out for 4H and raisng meat pens for the County Shows . The rabbits really can provide allot of protein , until a couple of years ago I kept two Calif Does and a buck and raised rabbits for meat. Very lean and tasty and not allot of clean up . The best fertilizer I have ever had in my garden.
I love to Garden we have allot planted this year and not done yet.
Great teaching tool for kids and while they are interested make it fun, who knows you may have a grandchild that will be one of nations next farmers.
I am planiing to raise some Wyandottes also with my layers for a dual meat purpose bird. It is a trial version at this point, I have eggs in the incubator at this time to start our flock. Plan to also raise some hatchery birds from Mc Murrays to compare egg production growth etc.
I understand your wife not wanting to eat the extra roosters. I just try to not get attached. The type layers we have now will not last long so we will be replacing them pretty often. Would rather have a longer living chicken if they can lay enough to pay for their feed.
My grandparents always had chickens around the barn and also a chicken yard full of usually White Leghorns.
Good luck with your Grandkids planting the Garden. Fun Times!
What type of laying chickens do yall currently have!? I am waiting on some Red. star Pullets to kick off anyday!
Post edited by FLOYDW 3/31/2015 1:55 AM
3/31/2015 1:52 AM report abuse
STEVEN15
We had Rhode Island Reds about 3 years back. Ended up with a bad coyote and hawk problem that caused us to lose all 10 hens we had. The RIR is my wifes favorite. As kids our folks always had white leghorns. Took us some time before we had the heart to get back to raising chickens.

We do farm some still. Rented out our irrigated farm ground. That was tough on my back. Not sure at times if getting kids into farming is doing them any favors. A prolonged drought has soured me on farming. Just don't have that spark I used to that drove me to do it.

We still have a portion of our Hereford cow herd. Sold about 2/3 due to the drought.

We got 6 sr pullets at the farm store. My wife thinks they are Buf fOrphington. We had those at one time, nice hens. Came home the next week and ordered some RIR and Egyptian Fayoumis from MCM. The MIL was telling she likes white eggs so thought we would try the EF. They are supposed to mature about 4 weeks earlier than other breeds. They are scheduled to arrive this next week. Excited to see what the exotic breed chick will be.

One time we raised some cornish rock. I butchered one and my Mom asked me if it was a turkey. They were huge. Not very efficient for egg layer though.

I think many people have a hard time eating rabbit. They are just so darn cute. They are tasty though. As kids we never ate much rabbit. I think that in the hard times my folks ate a bunch of rabbit and it burned them out on it. My Mom said one time she ate so much rabbit she thought she would start to hop.

My wife is the gardener. She works as a secretary/ book keeper and enjoys the time outdoors after work.
4/1/2015 12:37 AM report abuse
FLOYDW
We have also experienced Varmints here. We live on a huge Lake ! When i started trapping them we ended up catching over forty. i lost count after forty. it was bad they were walking around in the yard like dogs during the day. Little old Lady neighbor was feeding a herd of cats. She passed and then they were all hungry wanting food . We all know that feeding wild animals causes problems.. Another Human Error!
We have just had our chicken back in the coop for about a month and no problems. But it is reenforced like Fort Knox!!
Good EGG RECIPE TO SHARE FOR EVERYONE!!!

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

MAKE 1 REG BUNDT PAN / PREHEAT OVEN ON 350 DEGREES

1 CAN OF GRANDS FLAKY BISCUITS- CUT INTO FOUR PEICES EACH.
1 PKG OF PRECOOKED TURKEY SAUSAGE
1/2 CUP SEASON BLEND ( ONIONS BP AND CELERY(
DOESNT HAVE TO BE PRECOOKED
7-8 EX LG EGGS SCRAMBLED ALSO SEASON WITH SALT PEPPER LITTLE GARLIC POWDER
MIX ALL OF THIS TOGETHER AND POUR INTO A SPRAYED BUNDT PAN AND BAKE AT 350 DEGREES TILL BROWN.
ENJOY WE DID THIS WEEKEND!!
WE ARE GETTING ALLOT OF RAIN I HOPE THE REST OF YOU ARE ALSO. OUR GARDEN NEEDED IT..
4/5/2015 12:29 PM report abuse
CYRILK
Score: 1
You can also use eggs in place of starch to thicken gravy, especially if you have a gluten allergy this is a good idea. Think Hollandaise sauce, but in place of the butter and lemon traditionally used, use pan drippings and meat juice
6/23/2015 1:50 PM report abuse