Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> selling eggs ~ need suggestions please

Topic: selling eggs ~ need suggestions please (22 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
selling eggs ~ need suggestions please (22 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
TINAC
Score: 160
I am wanting to advertise some of our extra eggs for sale --- I don't want a set price on them - but asking for donations only (so yes some good take them for free if they want) --- how would I would that? thanks
4/5/2014 5:18 AM report abuse
TimR
Score: 92
We've sorta got the same problem. The girls are putting out way more than we can use, so we've just been telling people we have eggs and hope it spreads word of mouth. We are asking for $1.50 a dozen since neighbor also has chickens and that's what she charges. We are getting rid of some that way.

We have 16 layers and get 12-15 a day
4/9/2014 8:27 AM report abuse
TINAC
having chickens here is new to us - and people here are strange in buying eggs --- no one wants to pay for them - maybe we will start selling some once people hear about us... I am not sure
4/9/2014 9:22 AM report abuse
TimR
I know the feeling about the free eggs. Last winter we gave a few dozen away and people seemed to think they should always get them for free. We are currently charging $1.50 a dozen and rely on word of mouth. Dropped off 2 dozen today when I went to town and had someone else there then ask for 3 dozen every week.

What gets me is regular eggs are selling for $2 in the store, but I see Walmart gets over $5 for cage free organic brown eggs which is what we have. It's to the point I'm just glad to get $1.50. People just don't appreciate how good farm fresh eggs are.
4/10/2014 4:59 PM report abuse
DAVID41
Score: 21
GREENBUSH, MI
I have 34 Isa Brown hens and sell my eggs at our Farmers Market for $4.50/ dozen.
Listen I sell eggs as a hobby but I once was a businessman and I will not sell my eggs below the man that is trying to make a living to feed his family. To me that would be immoral. Also I know my cost and I will not work to support someone else. I give my money to my church and not some ungrateful, uninformed friend/neighbor. I'll get rid of my chickens before I'll hurt other working families for my selfishness. If you have a family to feed these days just think how you can destroy other families.
4/10/2014 5:40 PM report abuse
TINAC
I am not sure I understand you post - I am not trying to under sale anyone - I have a large family - and selling any eggs - will help us keep eggs and buy feed for the chickens - but also help someone else - if I have a good price --- buying eggs at walmast helps no one but china,,,, so I just don't understand why it would be wrong to try and sell them and maybe even make a dollar or two
4/10/2014 6:43 PM report abuse
DAVID41
GREENBUSH, MI
I have 34 Isa Brown hens and sell my eggs at our Farmers Market for $4.50/ dozen.
Well the point is to sell at a fair price for a profit and not sell like a Walmart at below cost like $.99 per dozen as a "loss leader." You build a business & loyalty a day at a time by offering quality (clean large eggs & good clean cartons) and giving superb service. You do not run the other guy out of a living just to serve yourself. One of the main problems is most people do not have any idea what their cost is. Would you go next door and pay the guy to rake his leaves. No but you would give him $3.00 of eggs for $1.50 Why are you paying him to take your eggs? Because you do not know it and others are doing it so it must be okay. Wrong. Many people are selling their eggs below the cost of feed and mortality but they don't know their costs and do it. That is unfair to the professional and invites China in.
Post edited by DAVID41 4/11/2014 11:02 AM
4/10/2014 7:07 PM report abuse
DAVID41
GREENBUSH, MI
Post deleted by DAVID41 4/11/2014 10:46 AM 4/10/2014 7:18 PM report abuse
TimR
We have chickens mainly to supply ourselves and our children and parents. The problem is, none of them live real close to us so it's hit and miss when we move eggs. I have no problem selling them at $1.50 rather than throwing them out. Yes, I know it isn't a money making proposition, but anything is better than nothing.
4/11/2014 8:48 AM report abuse
DAVID41
GREENBUSH, MI
I personally know a person who filed bankruptcy and has no idea why. I know. She paid more for feed than she was getting in income but she was getting cash so it looked good but after three years she had no money so then she staved her chickens with little free range. It happens all the time. Stupidity and selfishness. Businesses must make a profit or get government subsidies.
4/11/2014 10:48 AM report abuse
DAVID41
GREENBUSH, MI
"Anything is better than nothing" Well tell that to the farmer who can not purchase milk for his children today and is feeding his eggs to the hogs because you under sold him to his customer. I've sure he knows his cost and needs a profit since he has a business and this is not a hobby to him. Shame on you selfish people that kill the farmers and then say what is happening to the small farmer. It's the greedy insensitive hobbyists stupid.
Post edited by DAVID41 4/11/2014 11:12 AM
4/11/2014 10:57 AM report abuse
TINAC
for me - I understand your point - but there are NO farmers - that have eggs - you have to go to the store - white ones at the local store are $3.39 a dozen or the other stores (closest is 50 miles) people stock up on --- selling some at a donation price would seem to be best for us - then if they can't pay - I give them anyway - if they can pay it helps me by more chicken feed...
4/11/2014 11:13 AM report abuse
DAVID41
GREENBUSH, MI
Well I do not know where you are that there are "no farmers." During the summer I am at several farmer markets and there are many small farmers there. Every year there are a few less. I sell my eggs at $4.50 a dozen and I sell out while others sell at $2.00 and take eggs home. I will not under cut the guy who is trying to put his kids through college. I have built loyal customers that understand I can not sell against China and are willing to patronize my business. I sell organic, brown quality eggs and am proud to have anyone come and see my well kept free range chickens.

It is not about price it is about quality & service. A low price never has built loyalty. It builds cheap ungrateful customers that are ignorant and NEVER grateful. Please send them to Walmart where price is everything.
Post edited by DAVID41 4/11/2014 11:29 AM
4/11/2014 11:23 AM report abuse
TINAC
wow - I think we live in complete different areas --- I live in a huge ranching community - the farmers market is over 50 miles - so I never go there - I am not sure what kind of eggs they would sell - or how much - I just know in my area --- there are no other selling fresh eggs at this time - I do know there are a couple people in the one small town that have a couple chickens - for their own use - and maybe occasionally sell eggs to friends - I don't know for sure about that though - I never asked and have never heard about it
4/11/2014 12:25 PM report abuse
DAVID41
GREENBUSH, MI
Well I am sure there are many different situations in all markets but here we have many people that only know chickens as their pets and think they should be able to make a little money by selling eggs. They have no idea how their little pets hurt the small guy on a farm trying to make a living. You can drive down the country roads and see signs everywhere. Eggs $1.50 a dozen and they say people complain about my high prices. Sure they have a bunch of ungrateful customers that think a farmer should be cheaper than WalMart. By catering to this ungrateful group they hurt all the professionals that understand cost and are unwilling to sell at a lose so they sell their farm.
4/11/2014 12:36 PM report abuse
TimR
David you must have special chickens if you can sell out at $4.50 and the guy that wants $2 has to take his home.

We farm, so we raise all our own feed, and now that it's warm we free range in the yard in the afternoons. The local grocery store has eggs priced at $1.95 and I have to stay under that or we'd never get rid of any. Does it bother me to undercut someone else? No.

I can't imagine that anyone small is in the egg business to make money and I'm not going to feel sorry for anyone who goes broke trying to make a living.
4/11/2014 9:16 PM report abuse

WalkerC
Score: 22
CAMBRIDGE, WI
I have 20 acres in rural Cambridge where I hobby farm. I have chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, cats, dogs, goats, a horse and a miniature donkey.
It completely depends on what your market will bear and where you position yourself. Here in the Madison, Wisconsin area at the Farmers Market the eggs sell for $4-5 per dozen whereas you can drive down country roads and find them for $1.50-2 per dozen.

As to worry about underselling, etc. unless the farmer is working on a very large scale and has a very quick turn around on his stock it's very difficult to make money selling eggs. Most farmers keep chickens for their many benefits to the farm and selling eggs just helps to offset the costs further.
4/11/2014 11:20 PM report abuse
Dale
Score: 48
YACHATS, OR
Extreme Western Oregon
There is a huge difference between putting out a sign and having your customers drive to you versus spending the whole day sitting at a farmers market at an egg stand.
By utilizing the country road-sign method, that person avoids the cost of fuel , and time time it takes to bring them to market, pay for a booth at a market, and the time sitting there at a farmers market.
If I didn't make any profit on egg sales, I would eventually reduce my flock to more closely match what I use.
I certainly can understand why someone would sell the eggs for whatever they can get.
5/20/2014 6:21 PM report abuse
TINAC
at this moment I have about 25 dozen eggs in the fridge and get about a dozen and a half to two dozen a day --- today I am going to pickle an can them
5/21/2014 7:54 AM report abuse
JAMES67
Score: 4
This is an interesting discussion on prices.

First to the question on advertising.

Most feed stores will allow you to advertise your eggs. Some, like mine, will even sell them for you.

As for price discussion:

Under cutting price is a personal decision the same as picking the color of your car.

The professional egg sellers are not impacted by the small outfits prices. They have a contract with an agency or store chain that buys their eggs.

Now I agree that your eggs are worth something more than store eggs. Your chickens are NOT kept in small contained spaces. Your eggs generally taste better. If I am selling to a new customer I will let them have a FEW eggs free to try them. Not more than six eggs.

I especially have to do this as I sell Americana GREEN eggs. Once a customer tastes the rich flavor of these eggs they will pay more than store prices. But I never gauge my customers by selling at almost double store prices. I sell at fifty cents more than store brown eggs.

As a flea market (trade day here in Texas) seller I know you don't make a profit selling a few items at a very high price. You sell A LOT of items at a reasonable price.

But as i said above, setting the price is a personal decision.
5/27/2014 10:44 AM report abuse
TINAC
so interesting! so strange how it is so different here - i just gave *20* dozen away this week --- people claim they love *fresh* eggs --- but no one wants to pay for them ----
5/27/2014 2:36 PM report abuse
ANTHONYR
Score: 0
David41 I agree with you....I sell my eggs at $3.00 a dz. and thinking of charging a little more. Oh and to the others out there you are better off not even selling the for $1.50. Put them in compost it would be better for the working man, farmers, and the economy!!!
4/28/2016 12:46 PM report abuse