Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> New chicks are dying.

Topic: New chicks are dying. (37 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Next »
New chicks are dying. (37 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
ALEXAC
Score: 8
Just got chicks this morning at 6am. We got the feather footed bantam assortment. Two chicks died within a hour or two of being home. They couldn't stand, kept falling on their backs, etc. One of them was drinking water, but still ended up dying. Now, two more have gone from eating, drinking, and walking around to sprawled out looking like they are dying. We always put the gro-gel with their food, we make sure they are drinking, I'm confused as to why they are dying. Any help would be greatly appreciated. So far we've lost one Black Silkie and a cochin.
5/5/2014 5:40 PM report abuse
ALEXAC
Just lost our third, a little buff Brahma cochin, now another looks like it won't last long either. It's heartbreaking for my daughter. =(
5/5/2014 6:05 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Try adding some sugar to their drinking water. Or if any more are weak now, take some honey and put it right in the chicks mouth. That will help give the babies some extra energy if they were stressed from the transit. Also please call our customer service so we can assist you with the losses.
5/6/2014 9:04 AM report abuse
ALEXAC
We are now at 6 lost of our order of 15. We did the gro-gel, sugar water, and we have probiotic in their water. The good news is that the remaining ones look great. Full gullets and very active.
5/6/2014 10:47 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Sorry to hear that! But glad the others are doing well now! Thank you for the update.
5/8/2014 1:04 PM report abuse
ALEXAC
Customer service was excellent, they are sending replacements to be here Monday morning. I must say that this is why I keep returning to McMurray. Thanks!
5/9/2014 1:28 AM report abuse
JAMES66
Score: 6
received rare breed special 15 chicks at 830am Monday 1 died with in 7 hours 1 is sick (gasping like the one that died) all 3 top hat's have blisters on their right shoulder (with chicks facing away from you) filled with clear liquid one has a deformed and broke foot, 2 others are real lethargic and unresponsive when you go to pick them up so that's 8 out of 15. I have raised a clutch of 4 and a clutch of 12 in the last 2 months none vaccinated all hatch-lings still doing well, I don't understand why a professional hatchery cant do better... not a good way to keep a first time buyers business... MM H came highly recommended to me too.

22 chick brooder box, large feeder tray with a home made fine ground mix of oats, wheat, peas, corn, rice and beans and chick grit water'er has hydrate mix and duramyicin -10 red 250 watt heat lamp with a steady temp of 95 to 99 (fist week) talked to a local vet said the chick that died had pneumonia, I am saddened that our first purchase turned out this way nothing like babysitting chicks 24/7 my son and his wife have been taking turns caring for them... this is not the kind of enjoyment we expected from a quality hatchery.
Post edited by JAMES66 5/20/2014 9:53 PM
5/20/2014 8:18 PM report abuse
JAMES66
Update: 9 of the remaining 15 now have diarrhea that is clear with a yellow center. also I'm thinking the 3 top hats may have staff infection from the 2 inoculations, that would explain the blisters all on the right side as they are facing away from you.
Post edited by JAMES66 5/20/2014 9:52 PM
5/20/2014 9:47 PM report abuse
JAMES66
Update: lost the 2nd chic now a 3rd is lethargic and not responding to touch, eating or drinking. upped the dose a bit on the antibiotic have been using a small syringe to force the lethargic chicks to drink the antibiotics.
5/21/2014 8:48 AM report abuse
JAMES66
Wow I am impressed with the customer service and the fact MM H is replacing the order. It is still sad that they got sick.
5/21/2014 9:10 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
James- I'm glad we were able to speak with you this morning and get this resolved.
5/21/2014 9:40 AM report abuse
JAMES66
Thank you, lost the 3 and 4th one a few min ago one top hat and the lethargic one.... the runt started chirping loudly all the time no signs of sickness maby it was his buddy (the top hat) that died. 12 left 2 seem none the worse for ware 9 have the runs and the runt is chirping like mad. Will keep them on the antibiotics for a few weeks as suggested and as a precaution I will also medicate our other 20 chickens just in-case we spread it to them.
Post edited by JAMES66 5/21/2014 10:25 AM
5/21/2014 10:18 AM report abuse
JAMES66
in total today we lost 3 the remaing tophats that had the blisters/boils and one other I hadent yet figured out what it was. The remaining chicks so far seem to be doing better but they seem to have developed the liking of chicken feet and anything white we have 6 of the remaining 10 that now have sores on the feet from the other 4 what I call canable birds. the golden wydonettes and the reds seem to be unusually aggressive to the other chicks pecking at the legs and feet. its almost like they are predator chickens??? is this normal I have never seen anything like it.
5/22/2014 12:52 AM report abuse
GERALD2
Score: 2
GILBOA, NY
Just picked up our order of chicks at the post office around 8AM. We got the rainbow assortment and 2 polish plus a free one. We have one that is just laying there. seems like she cant stand on her feet. One of the Polish ones was weak as well so started to give them some warm sugar water. Hope it works. Also seen that we have one black chick that goes after the others feet and pulls. Don't know whats that about.
Post edited by GERALD2 6/23/2014 8:55 AM
6/23/2014 8:54 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
Gerald2- Try giving the chicks some honey in their mouth. That is more direct and will give them some energy. Dip their beaks in water after to help wash it down. Please keep us updated as to how they are doing!
6/23/2014 11:44 AM report abuse
GERALD2
GILBOA, NY
Update on our chick's. The polish chick died but the other chick is doing very well. I gave them sugar water and I did the honey. I also hard boiled an egg and used the yolk of the hard boiled egg. I smashed it up with some sugar water and had the weak ones eat it. So it's sad one of our polish ones didn't make it but the other one chick is doing great.
Post edited by GERALD2 7/1/2014 9:59 AM
6/26/2014 10:33 AM report abuse
CORLIEL
I searched this forum to see what other chicken growers were saying about their newbie death rates. Now I feel assured that it isn't my lack of care that is causing so many chicks to die in the first week. Im getting a 20-25% death rate no matter where I order chicks from. Its not the hatcheries or us. Its just life. But I must say, it takes more like 4-5 days to find out how many you are going to lose. Im not sure why all the hatcheries only refund after 2 days.
6/27/2014 12:54 AM report abuse
ALEXAC
We were sent a new order because of the loss of our first batch of 15 feather footed bantams. We ended up with 20 live birds out of 35 that were sent. It was a huge loss for us, we've never had such a rough time. We did the gro-gel, electrolytes in the water, honey, etc. They would go from being just fine to falling on their faces, uncoordinated and dead within an hour. People have told me that bantams are just very fragile birds.
6/27/2014 2:10 AM report abuse
GERALD2
GILBOA, NY
So my last post was telling you we lost one of our polish chicks. Well the other chick that I thought was doing so well wasn't doing well at all. We lost that one yesterday. Just found it dead. The rest of the chicks seem to be doing great.
Post edited by GERALD2 7/1/2014 10:02 AM
7/1/2014 10:00 AM report abuse
GAILM
Score: 0
I orderd 15 polish top hats they are two months old. lost two the first week, lost 4 two weeks ago. had one get sick a week ago took it to the vet and they sent it to the lab but haven't got results yet. is it something with the top hats?
8/21/2014 12:47 PM report abuse
GAILM
just found out from lab it is mereks disease
8/21/2014 3:45 PM report abuse
MARNIEG
Post deleted by MARNIEG 8/31/2014 5:54 PM 8/29/2014 7:51 PM report abuse
SHAWNAS
I ordered 5 baby Cornish game hens and 5 jumbo Cornish rock mix, all but 4 have died and one of those 4 isn't doing so well. I have talked to customer service but I have lost 3 more since then :(
Along with this order I also purchased 5 Turkens and then received my free exotic baby, all of those are doing great, its just the cornish babies that are dying. I have put sugar in their water and dabbed some honey on their tongue, it did temporarily perk them up but they still died. What could possibly be wrong with them and the others are not sick at all?
9/6/2014 11:08 PM report abuse
LAURA16
Score: 1
I am having the same issue with my cornish chicks! So far I have lost 2. I was wondering if you found a solution to your problem?
10/9/2014 9:57 PM report abuse
JAMES66
USPS don't usually keep good care of livestock, to many temperature extreams which is a big problem for chicks it causes more stress on baby chicks. stress in chickens= dead chickens.

for non inoculated birds: have a preheated brooder box to 95 deg. if you can try to keep humidity to 55%. you can use a white light but a red light stresses them less. with medicated chick feed and water that is no more then 75 deg with electrolytes and antibiotics for the first week.

for inoculated birds: same as above but use non medicated chick feed.

I learned from experience this is the best way to set up for new chicks. once the chicks get sick 7 out of 8 times it means a lost chick. I have 20 birds from MMH I went through this same ordeal, I have reared over 70 chicks from eggs in this last year and found environmental stress was the biggest threat to baby chicks. I did do something that helped but I don't recommend it, I fed my baby chicks fermented fruit (we have 2 big fig trees) or you can use beer mixed with oatmeal and honey but not to much 1 table spoon of beer to 1/2 oz of oatmeal and a dash of honey.

Hope this helps.
Post edited by JAMES66 10/10/2014 10:26 AM
10/10/2014 10:15 AM report abuse