Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> New chicks are dying.

Topic: New chicks are dying. (37 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
« Previous
New chicks are dying. (37 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
SHAWNAS
Score: 0
Laura16,

I never figured out what it was, I did everything under the sun to save them but I lost all of the Cornish mixes except for one. Who is growing and hangs out with the Turkens, who strangely never showed any signs of illness and they all arrived in the same box. They replaced all of the ones that died plus some extras to help keep them warm. They all arrived healthy and are still going strong and are due to go out side next week..Im sorry yours are dying,its sad. I think it is a illness they somehow get and along with the travel and temperature changes they just can't handle it.call customer service if you have not already and they will replace the ones that have died. Good luck!!
10/10/2014 1:04 PM report abuse
LAURA16
Score: 1
SHAWNAS

Thank you for your reply. I hate that you had to go through this too, but am glad that I am not the only one in this boat! As of now only 3 have died and they are all Cornish cross chicks. Customer service has been great so far and has credited my account. I'm glad yours have also been replaced! Fingers crossed the rest of them make it!!!
10/10/2014 1:09 PM report abuse
SHAWNAS
Laura,

Thanks, I also separated the sick from the ones that appeared to be healthy. I also gave them probiotics straight up. Then added to their water.
10/10/2014 1:23 PM report abuse
BRENDA
ALAMOGORDO, NM
Im a bird rescue...
When I have new chicks I give them sugar water the first day and if they are still sluggish I use mollasses just enough to change the water color...I use DE and dust every chick and also add some to their food..this gets rid of mites and lice and any intestinal parasites....dont handle them a lot for the first week...good luck
7/5/2015 1:37 PM report abuse
HANNAH2
I received 36 chicks a week ago. 5 have died so far and two more are not looking so good - stumbling around, lethargic. I've started feeding them sugar water to try to help, but I'm not sure what is going on with them. I check in on them often, refilling food and water, have changed their bedding twice already. The time between me checking in on them, everyone looking great, and me finding dead chicks is sometimes only a few hours. Please advise. Thanks!
7/29/2015 10:14 AM report abuse
KALAHW
I am having the same problem this is the worst company they are not doing anything about it my home hatched chicks are alive and well these MCMURRY chicks are dying!!! Called so call customer survice and that was a joke!!! First time customer who WONT be coming back
10/13/2015 10:14 AM report abuse
KALAHW
I am having the same problem this is the worst company they are not doing anything about it my home hatched chicks are alive and well these MCMURRY chicks are dying!!! Called so call customer survice and that was a joke!!! First time customer who WONT be coming back
10/13/2015 10:16 AM report abuse
MAELYNNN
I bought from MM a few times, no problems. This time we bought 25 Polish because this breed is so beautiful. First week, 10 died, we spilt the purchase unto two different buckets and one was with my mom and one at my home. Both my mom and I lost 5 chicks. Then 2 weeks, 2 more died, then at a month 3 more died. Today, over a month old still 2 more died! I have done everything, by everything I mean, take them out during the day to get grass and eat just fine, remain under the light at night.

These are dying without a reason! No notice! I am so sad and heartbroken!!!
I called and they only replaced 10 by price, I would have loved new chicks. I waited a long time for this order to be placed and filled. This happens.
3/29/2016 8:31 PM report abuse
SCOTT12
We have lost 2 of our leghorns since we got them on Wed. They act fine and then go limp. And die. I have no idea why this is happening. And its only with the leghorns. Our red stars and amuricanas are fine ??
4/5/2016 9:52 AM report abuse
DAVID140
We received 15 Speckled Sussex plus the free whatever bird on a Thursday, and lost 5 by Saturday. 2 of them drowned in the waterer. We moved the rest to an incubator after the first day and took the waterer away from them. We are just putting water in a large shallow lid and changing it often. Remaining 10 I think might make it, although 2 looked "iffy". Not sure if this is normal for their Speckled Sussex chicks--We had them set up with a hanging heat lamp, etc. and have not had this problem in the past. Usually we only lose a couple out of 15. This batch however has been a problem.
UPDATE--as of today, 5/23/16, we are down to 8. That means we have lost half. I cannot even say that all 8 will make it. We have been giving them special food for newly hatched baby birds because the baby chick crumbles did not seem to keep them alive. And we have put the water additive in religiously, and change the water several times a day. This batch just doesn't seem to want to live. Lot of money out to just end up with a couple birds. Would have been far cheaper to just go to the local farm supply and buy baby birds.
5/23/2016 7:29 PM report abuse
RICHARD66
We received our order of 15 Frying Pan Special Chicks this morning at the post office. Five chicks were dead when we opened the box and the remainder were in poor shape. I have never received chicks in this shape from Murray McMurray before.
Update: Only two live chicks this morning.
Post edited by RICHARD66 7/3/2016 11:05 AM
7/2/2016 4:15 PM report abuse
misspeggsue
Score: 15
Richard66, please call us at 1-800-456-3280 and we will be happy to help you.
7/5/2016 11:44 AM report abuse