Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Incubating & Hatching Eggs -> Setting Hen is not eating or drinking or pooping.

Topic: Setting Hen is not eating or drinking or pooping. (2 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Setting Hen is not eating or drinking or pooping. (2 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
DIANNA1
Score: 4
My Light Brahma went broody, and after even removing her from the nest and the eggs every day, I gave up and got her a dozen fertile Aracauna eggs. So now, she is in a separate pen setting. It has been almost a week now, and the feed bin is undisturbed, the water level is not changing, and there is no poop in the pen. She is alive and looking at me, but I am concerned. This is her first time setting eggs. In the past, my hens would get off the nest a couple times a day for a brief period to drink, eat and poop. When should I get concerned? I have never seen an animal deliberately starve itself for the cause. But summer is coming on and it will be getting hot soon, she needs to eat and drink. I am concerned about her digestive system shutting down too. What do I do now? I have a lot of experience with chickens all my life, this stumps me. She'll set whether she has eggs or not. I don't want to lose the eggs, but the hen is more important to me, she's only one year old.
6/12/2014 10:33 AM report abuse

JULIO G
Score: 4
july395454@gmail.com
ALPAUGH, CA
Some hens are just more dedicated then othersjsut leave the food and water she'll come out to eat and drink eventually
1/23/2016 5:56 AM report abuse