Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter your name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
The first ship date for everything in your cart is .
ALERT: Our 800 number is currently down. Please contact us at 515.832.3280.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Chickens -> What happens to unsold chicks?

Topic: What happens to unsold chicks? (3 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
What happens to unsold chicks? (3 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
SUZANNEK
Score: 1
I am very happy with the chicks I got from MM (thru my local farm store). But as a responsible chicken/guinea/duck owner, I'd like to know what happens to the unsold chicks, and the sorted out males. Could you let me know?
7/25/2014 10:59 AM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
We have assortments of males available for customers. Some use them for show birds and others use feathers for fly tying. We also use some as "fillers". If a customer has an order of birds that is between box sizes, they may be added for additional body heat during transit....or to fill the box if there is a lot of extra space so the chicks aren't jostled in the box.
7/30/2014 9:26 AM report abuse
MARISSAW
Score: 0
Hello - Your chicks are great, and I have been very happy with them when I bought from you, but I do have the same question as the previous post from 2014.

What is the current policy for the chicks that are not sold, particularly the excess males? I see that you do your best to use them for other purposes such as filling in orders, etc, but if there are chicks in excess of this, what happens to them and are they killed/how? Thank you!
1/23/2021 4:08 PM report abuse