Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Coops -> raccoons and hardware cloth

Topic: raccoons and hardware cloth (8 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
raccoons and hardware cloth (8 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
CATHYA
Score: 1
I lost all my birds two nights ago, assuming by raccoons. There were actual holes torn through 1/2" hardware cloth. Fencing staples still imbedded in wood, 8x4 run was moved 2-3 feet, my husband an I can barely move it. So sad and can hardly believe coons could do this much damage. Any ideas?
11/2/2014 7:33 PM report abuse
Dale
Score: 48
YACHATS, OR
Extreme Western Oregon
Hardware cloth wont stop a determined racoon. I use chainlink, and they managed to burrow below it once. Chainlink even stopped a bear - (Caught on game camera trying to get in.)

Add in an electric fence, and you will have a safe coop if you replace your chooks.
12/10/2014 5:17 PM report abuse
FLOYDW
Score: 9
I agree with the electric fence for the coons or anything else that wants to get in. I would set up two strands one 6-8 inches off of the ground and another about half the way up the fence, we had a problem with racoons also and started trapping them. We realized why we had problems when we had trapped fourty in a one month time period. We finally jsut stopped. We live on a Laks I Tx and we were just over run with them. But they are still causing problems a neighbor had two in his attic this week... So traps will go back out tomorrow as I haven't trapped them in a while. Prob a new family by now!
But I have Started Pullets arriving tomorrow, the coop is secure enough but a chicken yard is also in the making . Even though it will have a fenced off roof also. I will still be putting an electric fence up to keep anything out that might want in,
A friend of ours had a large dog rip the wire off of her cage and killed her chickens. So if they want in an electric fence is the way to gol I have seen a simple electric fence like for cattle send a Grizzly Bear running.
3/11/2015 11:52 PM report abuse
CHARLES35
Score: 1
a friend uses 110 electric fence
2 wires -at 1 ft &4 ft its pluged in to 110 outlet
kills coons & possums easily
dogs dont come close
3/12/2016 8:01 AM report abuse
FRANKC
Score: 2
I have had a coon problem also. I bought a door that closes at dusk and opens at dawn, seemed to help so far. Raccoons for rage at nite while stickers are sleeping.
5/22/2016 8:16 PM report abuse
MARK73
Score: 3
I have never had a coon tear hardware cloth, in fact coon cages are often made with it on the sides. More likely dogs, coyotes, or bears. Coons will pull out fencing staples(too small or not sufficiently buried in solid wood)or insufficiently stapled wire (not enough or close enough)I have seen dogs tear into hardware cloth. I use both poultry wire for birds and small animals and 2 inch x 4 inch squares horse fencing together (two layers)at my place around and over my run. I buried it 6 inches deep and lay it out one foot from the base in a trench and then covered it with soil. Never lost a bird to predators in the 40 subsequent years. Having said this bears are very rare in my area, and chickens allowed to free range have been taken by predators , mostly hawks and canines! Burying hardware cloth or horse fence has also worked effectively at my county penal institutions very large laying barns to stop digging predators and covering ventilation openings, including from minks, coons, opossums, skunks, coyotes and dogs that at one time have been problems.
9/29/2016 1:38 PM report abuse
Christopher33
Score: 0
Remember this as well: wire gauge has a lot to do with the strength. If you get a 16ga 1/2" it will be weaker than something made of 14ga or 12ga wire. Don't assume because it has smaller holes it will be more predator proof, and to prevent the digging under I always add "railroad ties" along the exterior of the run not screwed together just set there, for covering the run I choose a heavy gauge field fence with 2"x4" holes or smaller. Never had a break in never lost a bird due to a predator getting in through the run with this set-up and haven't had to run electric lines on the outside (but if I saw signs of a bear I would just to be safe!) right now we have just moved and are working on our new setup, and I'm using my standard for the run, the coop will be more difficult for us though, not because we have to build one but because we have to predator proof the old "barn" on the place and the way it's divided nothing goes floor to ceiling....
6/23/2017 1:11 PM report abuse
MARK73
Score: 3
Good point Cristopher! They are making lighter gauge "hardware cloth" these days than was once common. Burying stout fence and hardware cloth at least six inches and outwards at least one foot at the bottom of a trench will stop most predators except possibly a bear! I have used electric fence for years with my sheep and horses. It is not real reliable at keeping animals in or out! Panicked or frolicking animals will sometimes crash through or may just jump over. Many coyotes, dogs skunks and minks, etc. will dig under or climb over seeming impervious to the shocks they may receive! Animals with long hair may rub against an electric fence with no effect! Buring stout wire will still be needed even with electric fence. Never make a homemade electric fence hooked up directly to household AC current! It is a felony to make a dangerous "booby trap device" and you may be convicted of first degree murder if someone dies after contacting it!
6/28/2017 11:55 AM report abuse