Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Pennsylvania -> Lost chicks at the post office

Topic: Lost chicks at the post office (9 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Lost chicks at the post office (9 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
AMANDAL
Score: 0
I was curious if anyone else was having trouble with their chicks dying in at the post office. I lost a whole order. ????
2/8/2015 8:15 AM report abuse

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
I'm from Montana and my chicks arrived in good time, but were all dead. I think they got too cold as the weather was in the teens. McMurray is reshipping the order this next week. I asked for heat packs to be included in the order. They charged $2.50 for one heat pack which is all they said I need for 27 chicks. Wish they'd have offered the choice of buying a heat pack when I ordered, but I don't remember seeing anything like that. I had been watching the weather in Iowa and in Montana and knew the trip for the chicks was going to be a cold one.
2/25/2015 5:12 PM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
New batch of chicks arrived this morning and all 27 alive. The heat pack made the difference. They were nice and toasty and warm.
3/2/2015 12:08 PM report abuse
MELISSAJ
Score: 7
HAIKU, HI
I also had a shipment on the 9th Feb that half were dead on arrival and after 24 hrs 30 out of the 32 had died. They seemed hypothermic on arrival, very listless an uninterested in nourishment.
I just received a replacement shipment this morning and all seems well. All running around, eating and drinking and doing what baby chicks are supposed to do. I have another 30 coming next week and hope they are just as fit and healthy as this batch. I am in Hawaii
Post edited by MELISSAJ 3/2/2015 4:30 PM
3/2/2015 4:28 PM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
Being in Hawaii the chicks would have been put on a plane. I wonder how much heat goes into the cargo areas. Glad you also had luck on your second batch.
3/2/2015 4:42 PM report abuse
MELISSAJ
Score: 7
HAIKU, HI
I have been buying about 30 chicks a month for a while. Usually they arrive here about 60 hrs after being shipped. If they have heat packs and the green gel in the box there is no problem unless they spend a night somewhere unnecessary. The batch that all died had no heat pack and no gel, I knew when I opened the box that there was a problem, apart from many being dead, there was none of the usual vitality and vigor and no heat pack and no evidence of green gel on the matting. I was disheartened , but not surprised that the rest just keeled over over the next few hours, even with us doing our utmost to encourage them to take nourishment. The latest girls are all looking good, hopefully in the morning they will all jump up to see me.
3/3/2015 1:54 AM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
It seems that the major reason for you and I having dead chicks is the lack of a heat pack. I will order from McMurray's in the future. I love the variety of chicks to choose from. However, I will request and pay for that all important heat pack if I am getting chicks during the winter months.
3/3/2015 7:04 PM report abuse
LARRYY
BRADFORD, PA
My first batch of chicks arrived dead the 3rd week of April. The Postal Service let them sit in Pittsburgh for 2 days. A week later, Murray McMurray sent another batch, and they again sat in Pittsburgh for 2 days then were sent to a suburb of Pittsburgh then back to Pittsburgh then to Erie then Warren, I live outside of Bradford! Someone from the Bradford Post Office drove to Warren and got them. They weren't doing very good, but we managed to save 12 of the 16 we ordered.
7/4/2015 5:46 PM report abuse
LARRYY
BRADFORD, PA
I should mention, the supervisor at the Bradford Post Office was really great. When my order didn't arrive on time, she called all over and finally found them. When the 2nd order didn't show up on time, she again called all over before finding them. She's also a Murray McMurray customer, so she knew how important it was that the chicks get to their new home ASAP
7/4/2015 6:00 PM report abuse