Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> Small Roos

Topic: Small Roos (6 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Small Roos (6 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report

PATRICES
Score: 34
KALISPELL, MT
Survived our first winter in Montana. Girls did well even when it got to -22.
My chicks are 7 weeks old. I just got some pictures of them and the Salmon Faverolles roosters seem to be half the size of the others. Also one is lacking in tail feathers but that might be because he had pasty butt when he was little. First, do Salmon Faverolles grow slower than Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks? Will the chick that lost all his baby fuzz when he had pasty butt ever grow tail feathers?
4/13/2015 10:38 PM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
Here's the picture. His back end is kind of bald. He had a bad case of pasty butt and all his fluff wore off from the washing and soaking.
4/16/2015 8:23 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
He should grow feathers in soon. Some breeds develop slower than others.
4/17/2015 9:52 AM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
Thank you. Knowing that the roos will probably be okay is a great relief.
4/18/2015 10:57 AM report abuse
VICTORD
Score: 0
I am having the same problem with my salmon faverolle roosters. I ordered 32 and 2 that I ordered were salmon faverolle roosters. I received 33 birds and one roo was a runt. It turns out I was given an extra salmon faverolle rooster and no it was not the mystery chick. A day later the runt had pasty but and his eyes were covered in gunk. By the way all of the other chickens are doing fine at this point. Then I isolated him with a heat lamp and food and water. We wiped his pasty but with warm paper towels but he died the next day. Today I went out and noticed that ANOTHER salmon faverolle roo had the same problems but only in one eye. He did have pasty butt. I wiped his butt and trimmed the feathers around his vent then I made very strong tea and let it cool down and put some in his bad eye. He seems to be a lot more lively than the other sick one but we will see.
7/11/2016 11:23 AM report abuse

PATRICES
KALISPELL, MT
This is a follow up note about the Salmon Faverolles roosters. They developed slowly but eventually got feathers and are even larger than the hens finally. Love those boys. They are fantastic with the hens, calling the hens whenever they find a special treat. In the evening they gently push the hens toward the coop. AND...for those who live in places that don't allow roosters, they are really very quiet.
12/16/2016 10:21 AM report abuse