Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> General Discussion about Turkeys -> Nesting boxes for turkeys

Topic: Nesting boxes for turkeys (4 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
Nesting boxes for turkeys (4 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
GEORGE18
Score: 2
Do turkeys need nesting boxes? If so, what should the dimensions be?
7/16/2015 7:55 PM report abuse

McMurray Hatchery
They require 1 nest per 4 hens. The boxes should be at least 24" x 24".
7/20/2015 11:03 AM report abuse
PAMELA9
Score: 1
I am using old tires which are huge, non-standard tires. I filled them with straw and shavings. Today is the first day so I will see if they use them. I placed my first egg in one to encourage the hen to lay there.
8/8/2015 2:17 PM report abuse
REBECCA19
Score: 0
We made a 2-story nesting box for our turkeys, each measuring 24" long x 24" wide x 21.5" high. The box stands 18" off the ground, making it easy for the hen to hop into the bottom nest. For the top box, I would recommend installing a perch for the hen to hop onto first.

Just a word of caution for those who free-range your birds. When you see your hens begin to leave the flock and go off by themselves for a couple hours or so, they're likely either choosing a nesting spot, or beginning to lay their clutch. I highly recommend you start confining them to the coop, and be sure to include a nesting box for them. We lost 4 hens last year because we couldn't find where they were clutching, and coyotes got to them during the night. The 1 hen that was safely tucked away in the coop's nesting box hatched out 9 chicks for us, from her clutch of 11 eggs.
2/1/2017 9:51 AM report abuse