Your Name*
Email Address
Your email address appears to be invalid. Would you like to correct it?
Enter you name, email address and your question or message and click Send Message.
First Name
Last Name
Your Email Address
Your Question or Message
Your message was sent. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible.
This browser is using a vulnerable connection, TLSv1. You need to upgrade your browser for security reasons.
We will be closed Dec 11th thru Jan 1st.
You are Here: Home -> Forums -> Health/Care -> chickens eating their eggs

Topic: chickens eating their eggs (1 messages)

Search:
Account Login
(You must be logged into your McMurray Hatchery
Account in order to post in the forums.)
chickens eating their eggs (1 messages)
Posted By Message Posted On Report
ERIN8
Score: 1
Have recently gotten four RIR as my first layer flock. I chose to get older birds as it is late in the season and thought it would be nice to have eggs rigt away. They are 10 months old and laying well, but within two days of bringing them home they have started to eat their own eggs, up to a point they dine on half to two thirds of the production. Have tried several things already: golf balls in nesting box, mustard filled eggs, calcium supplementation, nesting box insert to trap laid eggs- they just ripped this out or laid on the floor in spite. Still a bunch of Hennible Lecters. I thought next option may be tilting whole nesting box slightly, drilling hole in corner and attaching a padded can underneath to catch eggs. Any one have success breaking this habbit? I feel like I am behind the 8 ball being new to this and not knowing their previous history. Thanks eggsperts for your ideas
7/29/2015 12:27 PM report abuse